Request For Quote- 316L - Barrel/Riser -100 Each

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChptMfg

Project Manager
Please quote material, manufacture, delivery to 19947.

Qty. 100each.
Materail: 316L, (Sorry, the print says 316)

Thanks,
Jonathan Harp
CHPT MFG. Inc.
Georgetown, DE

Attachments

• BARREL.pdf
    84.7 KB · Views: 204
  • RISER.pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 182

ChptMfg

Project Manager
Questions

To answer a few questions.

---I don't think this will be a repeat job.

---The drill point on the barrel was drawn at 118 deg., just looking for about 3/8" engagement, so it you want to use 135 deg or other you may.

Jonathan

interact412

barrel and riser quote

Quoting as follows:

Barrel 100 pcs, $1.65 ea pc
Riser 100 pcs, $1.40 ea pc

s/h to be determined

delivery 3-4 wks

Peter Demetriades Machine
423 366 0057
interact412@hotmail.com

Please quote material, manufacture, delivery to 19947. Qty. 100each.Materail: 316L, (Sorry, the print says 316)Thanks, Jonathan Harp CHPT MFG. Inc. Georgetown, DE

Dualkit

Quoting as follows:

Barrel 100 pcs, $1.65 ea pc
Riser 100 pcs, $1.40 ea pc

s/h to be determined

delivery 3-4 wks

Peter Demetriades Machine
423 366 0057
interact412@hotmail.com

Hey Peter, please do not post prices, it hurts you and everybody else. I bet you that someone will cut a dime off your prices and bid with out hardly looking at the prints. Your prices seem pretty low, maybe you are trying to scare off other bidders?

bobk

If he is trying to scare people off with those prices, it sure worked for me. I wouldn,t even consider doing those parts at 100 pcs quantity for less than 2.00 ea., especially the part with the knurling. Good luck, let me know how it goes and if you would do it again.

runner4404spd

are guys really that desperate for work. granted the material is about .80 per pcs but to really have programming, deburring and consumables all tied up for another .80 per part? thats pretty ridiculous even by chinese standards. so after all is said and done you've made $160 assuming you don't scrap any parts and assuming you didn't break a single carbide insert. and then can you really do a hundred of each of those parts in two hours?

Dualkit

Could be somebody new to the game.The $1.40 riser is the one that baffles me.
You need a Swiss type screw machine with at least 5" of stroke to do the knurl.
Most people on this board don't have a machine like that. I know because I have one with 4" stroke and on screw machine parts I can still bid an ok rate and get the work. I have run across people who think all 300 series stainless is the same. If you noticed 303 seems to get bid out at the same rates as 304 & 316. A USA shop bidding this low just shows you we haven't hit bottom yet, there is no recovery yet for the manufacturing sector.

ChptMfg

Project Manager
Job has been awarded

I have awarded the job, so no more quotes are required.

To all interested parties the parts were awarded at:

Barrel : $4.65
Riser : $4.85

The average of the quotes was:

Barrel : $5.76
Riser : $6.73

I chose a company that has done some work for me in the past so I know there quality.

Thanks, Jonathan

Dualkit

I have awarded the job, so no more quotes are required.

To all interested parties the parts were awarded at:

Barrel : $4.65
Riser : $4.85

The average of the quotes was:

Barrel : $5.76
Riser : $6.73

I chose a company that has done some work for me in the past so I know there quality.

Thanks, Jonathan

Just curious why didn't you give interact a try? He was 1/3 of what you are going to pay. How many quotes did you get? I think interact scared a lot of people off. You probably could have got quality at less than what you paid, but not at interact's price. At least you were smart enough to not go with the cheapest and get junk.

ChptMfg

Project Manager
Just curious why didn't you give interact a try? He was 1/3 of what you are going to pay. How many quotes did you get? I think interact scared a lot of people off. You probably could have got quality at less than what you paid, but not at interact's price. At least you were smart enough to not go with the cheapest and get junk.

I reviewed about 10 quotes, 6 from rfqwork and 4 from shops I use regularly.

You should never be afraid to quote a part, let your reputation/quality speak for itself. And allow the customer to figure out what he wants to do.

Interact scared me, I have been burned, as a matter of fact I have been burned on this site by giving a 50% down payment on a job. I need parts that are in tolerance, look good, are burr free, and that have been machined with a little “love”.

I have been running this shop for about 6 years, we have been in business for 21 and have seen the best and worst of it. I have a pretty good idea how machine shops work, we are cut throat and that’s how it is. Every other trade in the world has been able to uniform prices, if you call local oil companies and ask about LP prices they will all be within 0.10 of each other, plumbers, electricians, even welders are all able to keep there prices relatively even. As for machine shops some will quote at 15/hr and others at 80/hr. I know its all about overhead, but wow. You can only drill a hole so fast, you can only thread a hole so fast, so why is there so much difference in prices. It all boils down to the shops willingness to turn out a part, some do it for a profit some do it for jollies.

I don’t know how to make things better, but I do know something needs to change.

But it never will……………………..

Dualkit

Thanks ChptMfg, I ignore other's posted prices when bidding, but my comment was directed at the masses. The reason I didn't bid was the 5" long knurl, as my 4" stroke screw machine would not produce cosmetically appealing parts.
It is nice to see an informed buyer of machined parts. This economy is bad, but I think someone asking for 50% down is going too far. The problem here is there probably is a blend of 50% uninformed RFQ posters, combined with 50% bad suppliers, giving a high chance of a competent person having a bad experience.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.