Request For Quote- Bent and PEM'ed sheet metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0thn

Hello everyone,

I don't see a sheet metal category here, so I'll try this.

Our current sheet metal shop seems to be very busy and hasn't been responsive to us lately. So we are evaluating other potential shops. We are a small electronics design and manufacturing company located in southeastern Minnesota. We have our standard products that we build annual quantities in the 100's to low thousands. We also do prototypes and occasionally one offs. Ideally we would like to find a shop that has a laser and time to do the quick turnaround prototypes and one offs.

But anyway, here is a simple part that goes in one of our standard products. Please quote for 250 quantity. All materials (and finished part) must be RoHS compliant. Don't bid if you will be hand drilling holes and hammering in PEM nuts -- we need a quality part! We will accept quotes until Monday, April 14th at 8AM CDT. Job will be awarded by the end of the day on Monday, assuming an acceptable price is achieved. We will also be sending the part to our normal sheet metal shops, so the winner may not be an RFQWork.com user.

Last time we ordered this part we paid ~$4. I believe this is probably a bit more than we should have paid, but it should be ball park.

If you have any questions please call 507-454-2727, e-mail jj@aprsworld.com, or send me a private message.

Thanks,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Attachments

• np7-12-clamp_20080408.PDF
    33.7 KB · Views: 40

Eagle Mfg. Inc.

Eagle Mfg. Inc. Steve Fleming-Designer

Hi,

We didn't see in your request if you will supply the material & shipping. Is the .050 radius required, the normal 90 degree radius on .050 is an .125 radius? We have a new Torchmate 3 plasma table and full machine and fabrication area for possible later work. We are located in Webster City, Iowa about an hour north of Des Moines, Iowa..

We will quote the work as follows:

Material .050 aluminum 5052.
Fabricated to supplied sketch.
Shipping is not included.
Mill finshed.
50 % down at time of order.
Remainder at time of shipping.
2 week lead time.
$3.95/ pcs
Price good until May !st.

Thank you,
Steve Fleming
Eagle Mfg. Inc.
515-832-4291

Hello everyone,

I don't see a sheet metal category here, so I'll try this.

Our current sheet metal shop seems to be very busy and hasn't been responsive to us lately. So we are evaluating other potential shops. We are a small electronics design and manufacturing company located in southeastern Minnesota. We have our standard products that we build annual quantities in the 100's to low thousands. We also do prototypes and occasionally one offs. Ideally we would like to find a shop that has a laser and time to do the quick turnaround prototypes and one offs.

But anyway, here is a simple part that goes in one of our standard products. Please quote for 250 quantity. All materials (and finished part) must be RoHS compliant. Don't bid if you will be hand drilling holes and hammering in PEM nuts -- we need a quality part! We will accept quotes until Monday, April 14th at 8AM CDT. Job will be awarded by the end of the day on Monday, assuming an acceptable price is achieved. We will also be sending the part to our normal sheet metal shops, so the winner may not be an RFQWork.com user.

Last time we ordered this part we paid ~$4. I believe this is probably a bit more than we should have paid, but it should be ball park.

If you have any questions please call 507-454-2727, e-mail jj@aprsworld.com, or send me a private message.

Thanks,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

kb0thn

clarifications

Hi Steve,

You supply the material. You can ship UPS on our account, or we can even send you ready-to-go UPS labels. Yes, the radius has to be as indicated on the print. The part holds down a battery that has 0.0625" corner radiuses.

I went and measured the parts we are currently using. They are approximately 0.060" thick. Consider 0.050" aluminum minimum thickness.

Does the plasma hold close enough tolerances for the PEM nuts to fit properly? We had a local shop that ran an aluminum part of ours on their high def plasma and honestly I was appaled at how terrible the results were. Do you have any pictures of a plasma cut aluminum part of similar thickness?

Thanks,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Eagle Mfg. Inc.

James,

We have found with the plasma for a small diameter holes on
the poorer quality of stock material that is available right
now on the market, the holes will vary in shape, some will
be ok and other will cut different. The holes will either
cut smaller, depending on the material composition. We had
plans to punch the holes and then press in the nuts. We
don't have any picture of the plasma table during or after
cutting. We look for to working with you, if possible.

Thank you.
Steve

L2 Mfg

Hi Steve,

You supply the material. You can ship UPS on our account, or we can even send you ready-to-go UPS labels. Yes, the radius has to be as indicated on the print. The part holds down a battery that has 0.0625" corner radiuses.

I went and measured the parts we are currently using. They are approximately 0.060" thick. Consider 0.050" aluminum minimum thickness.

Does the plasma hold close enough tolerances for the PEM nuts to fit properly? We had a local shop that ran an aluminum part of ours on their high def plasma and honestly I was appaled at how terrible the results were. Do you have any pictures of a plasma cut aluminum part of similar thickness?

Thanks,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Plasma does not provide enough accuracy in a small hole like in your bracket drawing. I would advise using water-jet or laser. Plasma works best on Steel and thicker gauges of other metals.

kb0thn

Job awarded

We awarded the job to Optimum Precision of Lynnwood, Washington. They are doing some other parts for us and we are looking to build a good business relationship with them. Their price was also fantastic. < $2 at 250 quantity.

I still haven't gotten a quote, call, or anything from the shop that has done these in the past for us.

Thanks to all those who responded.

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.