Precision Steel Shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

techsalesleads

Design Problem or Sourcing Description:

Precision steel shafts to support a generator disk.

Required Specifications (must haves):
Approx 125mm diameter x 1.8m steel shaft x minimum 12mm wall.
Surface suitable for compression coupling.

Required Volumes: 300
Project Stage: Prototype

http://beta.industrialinterface.com/projects/view/99 - Sign up for a free account to contact the engineer who wants to buy these Steel Shafts ASAP.

Located in Orange County

Dualkit

What's the catch? You have a link to MFG.Com on your site, no one here has anything good to say about them, why are you linking yourself to them?

techsalesleads

Dualkit - NO CATCH! Not associated with MFG.com or any other website

Dualkit,

Thanks for your interest in Industrialinterface.com

We have done extensive research in the industry and found mfg.com as an interesting idea for a website, but are in no way, shape or form associated with them.

We hate the idea of you paying $5k/yr and having no idea what you are going to get. We hate the idea that it costs $10k to have a trade show booth or advertise in Industry magazines. We want to even the playing field and let the smaller companies have a chance at winning business.

Our site is free during Beta testing. Sometime in December we will be turning on payments and charging $50 for an engineer's contact information after giving you 2 free contacts.

Feel free to give me a call.

Chris

techsalesleads

Quotes to Industrial Interface Engineering projects

The $50 charge will be prior to the quoting process. We will be building in project management that will allow you to eventually contact the engineer anonymously to further qualify the project prior to paying and quoting.

I would enjoy speaking with you further about your desires for a site a like this. We appreciate and welcome suggestions for improving our site.

Our founders are all Engineers and Suppliers who have worked on both sides of the Industry and have built this site to be the BEST PLACE for Engineers to find relevant Suppliers and the BEST WAY for Suppliers to find new Sales Opportunities.

Feel free to use our feedback button, chat to us, email, or call me.

Chris Powell
powell@industrialinterface.com

techsalesleads

$50 How to Track it

How do we track awarded business? Our software is not set up to do this and it becomes a logistical big nightmare!

Suggestions.....

techsalesleads

Great suggestions - Please keep them coming!!!

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your great suggestions.

There are two different types of projects posted to our site.

1. An engineer knows his problem and the basic type of solution he is looking for, but the details of this are not yet determined. For instance, Engineer A is looking for a vibration dampening foam, needs to be UL 94 V-0 at a max thickness 1/16". Different foam vendors contact him with solutions. MUST PAY $50 prior to contacting engineer.

2. A Buyer/Engineer needs to buy a bunch of a machined part that he has a drawing for. Specs for materials, tolerances, etc. are all set. They are looking for a job shop. This scenario we could charge only the winning person. This development will hopefully happen sometime early next year.

Please register for a supplier account here to learn about new opportunities while everything is FREE on Industrialinterface.com....

https://beta.industrialinterface.com/users/add/type:seller

If you are working with an engineer and you can't help him, please let him know that he post his design/sourcing needs to Industrialinterface.com

sebtool

That's pretty cool - a $50 fee from every bidder/supplier just to contact an engineer who may or may not have a clue what he/she's doing?
I don't know about anyone else, but that doesn't sound too awful cost effective to me. Anyone else seen a job or 2 lately where 8 shops bid on a $400 job?
SPENDING a couple hundred bucks a day just to have the opportunity to quote is right up MFG.com's alley....
Now a fee on a completed job/order, that's another story. You have a chance to recoup your costs in that scenario. The 1st scenario's a crap shoot, and the odds probably aren't real good.
The fees go to the website, which causes the supplier's costs to go up, so either he eats it, or the customer's costs go up.

Does anyone really need a tax deduction for 'miscellaneous business expenses' this year???

Dualkit

How do we track awarded business? Our software is not set up to do this and it becomes a logistical big nightmare!

Suggestions.....

I have thought about starting a similar site myself. But the sticking point is only charging a person when he wins a job and is paid for it. Also there needs to be a way to pay sales people for bringing in leads. Collecting fees for just the opportunity to bid work or sales leads lends itself to no guarantee of value for the person paying the fees, and will end up being another MFG.com. Mfg.com does not care if the shops get work, it spite of their poor reputation, they keep reeling in suckers. I would be willing to bet 75% of their RFQs aren't even awarded. Anyone with any good ideas I would be more than happy to hear from them, I already have a site set-up, PM me with suggestions.

sebtool

About the only way I could see it working would be a straight commission for the site/salesman, on a completed/awarded job, based on a percentage. That's pretty much the real world these days, and the internet isn't exempt, just because it covers a broader customer/supplier base.

Let's face it, nobody's going to pay me to quote it, are they? And there can be a hell of a lot of time wrapped up in some of these, especially if tooling ad fixturing are involved. It all goes into the quote, and either you win it or you don't. Same way with leads. Leads are great if they're profitable, or a complete waste of time, which IS money, if they're not.

The playing field has to be fairly level the whole way around if you're at all interested in any long term profits/relationships. And that's where success lies. Not in all the short term 'quickies' you see these days. Waaaay too many of the people involved in the manufacturing processes these days are trying to pull in 3 months salary and expenses off a $1000 job. Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot in the long run.

kcgold

The web site designers have the problem that if the business parties can contact each other to discuss a project, they have now eliminated the need to pay the site that they used to make contact. I know we are all very honest, but would you pay industrialinterface.com if, after talking to the engineer over the phone and giving a quote offline, got the job? You might have the best of intentions to do it and just forget.

So the question is how does the website get paid for its' services? Unless there was a human double checking every post to remove company names, phone numbers, email and physical addresses, industrialinterface.com would be cut out of getting their fee if a quote was accepted.

Maybe a monthly charge for those suppliers that want to work with the engineers that are looking for assistance. They might get the job through that direct contact. But for those that who just want to quote the finished design, they only pay when someone accepts their proposal.

just my 2 cents

sebtool

:Yeah, I guess you've got a point there. Hadn't thought about it that way, but somebody would.
What about a monthly bill? Or maybe an annual contractual obligation? It seems that most customer's these days aren't very loyal, even if they're tickled to death with a couple of jobs you do for them, they're always looking for a cheaper way out. Most bean counters, and they are the ones running the business' these days, will cut your throat for a nickel, not taking into consideration the quality or level of service provided on their behalf.
And with today's 'hope and change economy', there is always another shop that's willing to underbid a job just to get a foot in the door of a potential customer.
I think we've all heard the 'This is just a prototype, but we need it made at production cost', or, 'We're going to need 250 parts, let's make 5 to make sure they'll work the way we want them to, then run the rest', not to mention 'You take care of us on this job (wink, wink) and we've got 2-3 coming up that we can both make good $$$ on, as soon as this 1's out of the way', and the list goes on...
Only to find out later that the customer gave your sample part, along with all of your engineering data, drawings, not to mention pricing, to some other shop that Billy Bob's cute cousin's boyfriend works at as a janitor, and they undercut you by $1.55 on a $300 part....
Now IF this site can come up with a way to help work around those types of issues, maybe it can get somewhere!

bobk

This looks like another "we're going to help the poor little machineshop guy get work site". This stuff all amounts to the same, a middle man making money from a small desparate shop taking a chance on getting some work. At one extreme we have MFG.com charging a very high price to people who don't get any work. The other extreme is this particular site that we are on right now, they don't charge anything to anyone and yet we still have people trying to figure out how to make it better. The fact is that our industry does not work like this very well. The good work is not distributed all over for just anyone with a machine to come along and bid on, save your money and play around with the free sites. Heck half the time people reguesting RFQ's don't even want to pay for descent shipping, it won't get any better if they have to pay a fee on top of that. OK, my rant is over!

techsalesleads

Free projects, Commission based connections, etc.

As a former Technical Supplier, I know how much time quoting takes and how you don't want to waste time and money. Two things that I think would make this site better for you to use than MFG.com:

Option 1: We vet our leads so that we aren't selling small or prototype projects (those we intend to offer as freebies to our registered sales community). We've discussed charging by commission on awarded contracts, but thought sales customers would balk at the idea of giving a lead generation site potentially tens of thousands of dollars per contract. How would you guys react to getting a $100k project and paying $3k to your lead generator?

Option 2: We charge engineering companies and the people buying products a fee for helping them to find the best supplier for their application. This way the suppliers do not have to pay at all for connections unless it is a very valuable project(>$50k-$100k annually).

Our goal with the site is not to rip off the little machine shops, but to even the playing field between the big boys huge marketing budgets and the small independent reps/shops/OEMs with niche products/services. Allow them all the chance to bid on bigger deals with large companies like Sony, Qualcomm, General Atomics, JPL, Medtronic, St. Jude, Boeing, HP, etc.

Questions:

1. What is your current cost for customer acquisition?
2. How much revenue/profit does that customer bring you on an annual basis?
3. How many companies are too many to bid against? 2? 5? 10?
4. What is your most successful way you have grown your business in the past?

Jeff-CNC

Not quoting

I haven't quoted anything from this site as of yet. What I'm doing here is watching the marketplace. As someone who spends 8 hrs every day doing nothing but quoting work and looking for work you've all been very helpful in saving me time by steering me away from places like MFG. I've also found I don't need help finding military work. As far as OEM work it can be found and had with a little persistence and the right approach. It would be nice to ice the cake with some work from this forum but I'm not seeing it with the cut throat rates and overseas outsourcing going on. I think Ariba could be a good format to look at for a site that connects suppliers with buyers. Easy to use and a "best fit" approach to who is able to bid on RFQs would be good. Anyway, an informative site with real machinists dealing with real life. That part has helped a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.