Request For Quote- Routed Delrin AF part, 620 pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0thn

1) Material type
Delrin AF. This is PTFE impregnated Delrin.

2) Is a material quote required or is material supplied.
You supply material.

3) Quantity
620 piece prototype run. Estimated annual usage of 5k to 8k.

4) Drawings should be immediately available or necessary specs.
See attached PDF and 1:1 DXF of profile.

5) Required time frame
Place order mid-January. Require parts in 4 weeks.

6) RFQ ending time
13 December 2010.

7) Full contact information should be supplied upon first contact by email from both parties, neither should have to reply to @.com
James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC
jj @ aprsworld dot com

8) If you the RFQ poster needs help in some of the technical areas then that should be made know initially.

Hope not.

9) Make known any special treatments/finishes not necessarily related to the machining process.

Note that as furnished 1/4" Delrin AF sheet is too thick. Required thickness is nominal 0.236 +- 0.005. Unless you have custom sheet extruded, I think you will need to face. We require flat and smooth parts, so this may mean facing both sides.

Internal shape needs square walls. I don't think a punched part will work for this. If non rotary cut process is used, will need samples prior to releasing order.

Attachments

• bottleOpener2a_ma.PDF
    27.2 KB · Views: 219
  • bottleOpener2..DXF
    21.5 KB · Views: 58

kb0thn

Follow-up clarification:

1) Despite the filenames, this is not a bottle opener!

2) Part should be free of burrs and hairs. I forgot to mention this, because the parts come off of my machine 100% clean and ready to go. Gotta love Delrin. I am cutting with 3/32" end mill at 5k RPM.

RITEWAY

About the delrin

My name is ken at riteway machining llc. I would like to talk to you about this. My number is 410 483 8531

32ROADSTER

Mr. Jarvis
My name is Dennis Healy from Phoenix Mold & Mach LLC.
I would be interested in Quoting this project for you my number is 267.229.6975
I am in the process of getting material quotes now.

Thank You
Dennis Healy
Phoenix Mold & Mach LLC

crossroads

1) Material type
Delrin AF. This is PTFE impregnated Delrin.

2) Is a material quote required or is material supplied.
You supply material.

3) Quantity
620 piece prototype run. Estimated annual usage of 5k to 8k.

4) Drawings should be immediately available or necessary specs.
See attached PDF and 1:1 DXF of profile.

5) Required time frame
Place order mid-January. Require parts in 4 weeks.

6) RFQ ending time
13 December 2010.

7) Full contact information should be supplied upon first contact by email from both parties, neither should have to reply to @.com
James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC
jj @ aprsworld dot com

8) If you the RFQ poster needs help in some of the technical areas then that should be made know initially.

Hope not.

9) Make known any special treatments/finishes not necessarily related to the machining process.

Note that as furnished 1/4" Delrin AF sheet is too thick. Required thickness is nominal 0.236 +- 0.005. Unless you have custom sheet extruded, I think you will need to face. We require flat and smooth parts, so this may mean facing both sides.

Internal shape needs square walls. I don't think a punched part will work for this. If non rotary cut process is used, will need samples prior to releasing order.
Hi We can do this part for $3.00 a part. 715-247-4747 Dan

Dualkit

I thought posting prices was not allowed.
Material cost is more than the quoted price how can that be?

If you buy large sheet even at McMaster material would be $2.11 each, by shopping other vendors you could probably get it under $1.50. Posting prices isn't allowed, but some people don't pay attention, or care.

kcmatt

I honestly do not believe any of these folks posting pricing have ever machined oil impregnated delrin, or understand the difficulty in holding a +/-.002 on an inside wall deminsion with such materials.

We have machined a lot of impregnated plastics and understand the and know how to make precision parts and how to package and ship them to maintain the integrity of the material. Materials like this are often shipped in water. But a guy who claims to be able to make this part for less than it costs to program and set up, probably has no expierence in precision or plastics. I'm sure the client is aware of this and will make a decision based on expierence and knowledge of precision manufacturing.

Have a nice day, I'd like to see this part made for $3.00. Is so we may as well close our doors. Lol

Dualkit

I honestly do not believe any of these folks posting pricing have ever machined oil impregnated delrin, or understand the difficulty in holding a +/-.002 on an inside wall deminsion with such materials.

We have machined a lot of impregnated plastics and understand the and know how to make precision parts and how to package and ship them to maintain the integrity of the material. Materials like this are often shipped in water. But a guy who claims to be able to make this part for less than it costs to program and set up, probably has no expierence in precision or plastics. I'm sure the client is aware of this and will make a decision based on expierence and knowledge of precision manufacturing.

Have a nice day, I'd like to see this part made for $3.00. Is so we may as well close our doors. Lol

Unless fixtured correctly this part is going to be all over the place. I honestly think some vendors are banking on the RFQ poster not being able to inspect the part to the tolerances specified. Seems like most inexperienced people own more mills than lathes. The mill type work in here goes for dirt cheap, I don't waste my time bidding any more.

32ROADSTER

I hate to have started some bad Mojo here but i must agree with DUALKIT how can anyone program,machine ,package and ship for such a ridiculous price.
That said I think I will look elsewhere for work no sense in not making money which is why we are all in business to start with correct.

Again i apologize for starting a thread that has gone bad.

Dualkit

I hate to have started some bad Mojo here but i must agree with DUALKIT how can anyone program,machine ,package and ship for such a ridiculous price.
That said I think I will look elsewhere for work no sense in not making money which is why we are all in business to start with correct.

Again i apologize for starting a thread that has gone bad.

As the economy went bad, more people started "donating" time to customers. I think a lot of people got down to bidding run time only on jobs. When the economy went south I dropped my shop rate, but still charged out everything. On another board a guy was asking what his business was worth as his main customer wanted to buy his machines and then employ him. I said "machine value only." His response was "What about my programs and fixtures?" I replied, "Why should the customer pay for them twice.? We said he never charged for programming or fixturing, I think a lot of mill guys do this.

kb0thn

Update

Hi Guys,

We have gotten an overwhelming quantity of quotes on this part. I am still reviewing everything.

I can tell you that the real cheap quotes are getting thrown out. I am aware of the material cost and doing the part below material cost or less than $0.75 above, isn't probably what we are looking for.

We have gotten various quotes with itemized tooling. That is fine. It allows you a cheap part price but you don't loose your shirt on tooling for something that you might not get again. And it gives us incentive to stick with you down the road.

I am not sure the 0.002" is as big of deal as some have found it. The parts come off our mill within a tho and we do no special fixturing. We route the inner profile first and then the outer profile. Tool wear has been unmeasureable for us, so I wouldn't expect to even need to change compensation during the course of machining the 620 pieces.

Thanks,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

kb0thn

Updated: We awarded this quote to a supplier from outside rfqwork.com. I got completely deluged with quotes on this. I appreciate the time everyone took to quote. Of RFQWork responses, many did not really quote what we were asking. Changed tolerances. We supply material. Or something else odd.

It got very hard to compare quotes and determine the best value. We are paying $5.57 per part (on the high side of what I saw here). But the shop has the plastic in stock and didn't have any questions or hesitations about it. The project that this is part of has been complicated enough that I needed this part not to cause me any headaches.

thanks,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.