Request For Quote- SERIOUS long-term vendor wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM Engineering

Took a while to correctly register, I'm goddamn blue/green colorblind so squinting at that Captcha code had me blind as a bat and about two beans short of a burrito by the time I got it right.

I'm part owner of a small company in Southern California. We've been in business almost 10 years. We design and make billet and cast metal parts, mostly aluminum. We do not do any machining in-house at this time.

We have a few really good vendors who we stick with, period.

For mill and lathe work, we have tried small shops, who want to overcharge because they didn't buy better equipment so it takes them longer.

We have tried shops with incredible equipment (new 5-axis Mori with ALL the bells and whistles), but every time a juicier job comes along, our stuff is late.

We have tried big shops, but they don't meet deadlines because they are more focused on the big jobs.

We have tried MFG, and even though we only tried the shops who were not lowballing, we found flakes, dreamers, people looking for easy money, or people who de-prioritized us every time a bigger job came around.

We have tried expensive shops, who claimed and probably believed they were King Sh*t, and act like they are doing us a favor for doing our work because of how serious they are about making great parts on time or because of how smart or precise they are. They turned out to be the same as everyone else: talk is cheap.

We are looking for a company that can AND WILL do the following:

• Deliver when you say you will.
  • Follow instructions. If we say "Do not run production until first article approval," don't even begin running parts. If the machine is all set up and you are face with turning away other jobs, either tell us we need to approve it in X time or tell us what our options are.
  • Do prototypes or hot jobs quickly without gouging us because we are in need. In return, prototypes will turn into production at YOUR shop, not a lowballer's.
  • Do high quality work, as if you cared. Meaning, the parts have a nice finish and all look the same. USA pride, not Chinese factory Don't-Give-a-Crap.
  • Do work off time and materials. Don't feel us out to try to get more, or ask us what we will pay.
  • TRY REALLY HARD. Push! Move! Hustle! Act as if it's important! If the anodizer says "One week turnaround" on a hot job, ask if they can possibly do it sooner. Etc.!
  • Give 30 day billing. We have AWESOME credit with our vendors.
  • If you do not have a 5-axis (or 4-axis, or 3-axis) machine, do not expect us to overpay for you to do it inefficiently. Make efficient fixtures.
  • Please do not try to rape us on fixtures or setup charges. We will go somewhere else. Our favorite vendors do not charge setups or fixtures, or if they do, they are efficient and FAST. In return we can give repeat orders.
  • Do NOT ask us what motor vehicle or engine a particular part fits. I appreciate that you may be a car/boat/truck/4x4/ATV/motorcycle/watercraft guy. Sorry.
  • Do NOT take credit for OUR parts, or minimize the value of our engineering or rep by telling people "We make their stuff for them". How about "They are one of our customers."?
  • Do NOT approach our competitors. If you want to increase the business, serve us well and we will give you as much of our work as possible.
  • Do NOT approach our customers. If we send a print with another company's logo on it, do not call them up for any reason.
  • Do NOT decide that my company is making the lion's share of the profits on this or that part, and that you are doing all work (you're not), and try to go into our business. We are not a machine shop and You are not an engineering house that designs products, develops products, or sells products. Machining is a lot harder than people think and so is what we do. If you get any sneaky ideas, we will pummel you mercilessly. It has happened before.

What do we offer?

• Ongoing work. We aren't big but we are growing every month, hence our need to find a vendor who won't hold us back.
  • We pay. In full and on time.
  • Fairness. Meaning, if a job ends up being more work than you quoted, let us know and we will work with you. But for pete's sake, do the same: if run time is less than you estimated, let us know the price came in a few bucks less per part. The money will come back to you many times over.
  • Good files/prints/drawings
  • Easy to deal with.
  • Realistic expectations to go with our high standards.
  • Loyalty. We are looking for a manufacturing PARTNER. Meaning, we prioritize your needs and you prioritize ours. We have each other's back. We are paying a premium to make everything in the USA, by our clear and conscience decision. It costs us extra money just to put money in your pocket. Make us glad we did!
  • Price is very important but our goal is not to drive our costs as low as possible. It's to get as much VALUE as we can, as affordably as we can. But we cannot pay you a premium just because you think very highly of yourself!

Our long term goal is that you cherish our account because of all the money we give you, and we cherish your services because of all the money you help us make. When another shop calls us offering to save a couple of bucks per part, we want to say, "No, it's not worth it. OUR GUY TAKES CARE OF US." When you think about doing one of the things on the "Do/Don't" list above (whether it's being late because you put another job before us; going around us; etc.) we want you to think, "I cannot do that. THESE GUYS TAKE CARE OF ME."

Capische?

Think about it really hard before responding. We don't need someone who doesn't meet those needs. We already work with shops like that.

If you have personal issues, you have my sympathies and I wish you nothing but the best, but it will go badly between us so don't contact me. But if you truly can and will do the above arrangement and want a customer like us, let's talk.

Thanks for reading.

hpatel624

Hi
I have read your instructions and have no problem following the instructions. We are also located in California. Send me a message and we will talk

Thanks
Harry

kp1256

Ken Peterson
Elite Tool and Wire

We are a full machine shop with Wire and Conventional EDM's. We have serface grinders and Knee mills with cnc programers as well as full cnc milling. We also have the capibility to fabricate and weld. In addition, we have cnc turning.

Our parts are always done to the best quality and appearance.

What you have explained is exactly what we do for our other customers in the medical, aerospace, and food packaging.

We work from the files that you create or we have an experienced design service that you can rely upon to produce full solids in Solid Edge or draft prints.

We have at our disposal all support processes such as plating and heat treatment within a 5 mile radius of our location.

Our reputation is our parts and we have pride in what we do. When you receive parts from us the will not look like ASS. We have an ASS factor and parts will not leave our shop in an unsatisfactory appearance. Aesthetics are important to us.

We have local engineers who walk through our doors at any time, who are availabe as references at your request. We stand behind our work and our name says it all "Elite".

We are 4 miles from a UPS hub with a hub located at the Rockford Airport and less than 1 mile from a FEDEX hub and dispatch center. Our current customer base is from Las Vegas to the Carolinas. We understand that your parts are important to you and ALL of our customers are important to us.

If you visit our website it is under construction showing a picture of a few assemblies that we have done. If you want, we will be happy to send more photos of some of the parts that we have done.

You can contact us at:

Elite Tool and Wire
Ken Peterson
815-874-5602 Phone
815-874-5436 Fax

kpeterson@elitetooledm.com

Collins Machine and Manufacturing
1812 Boxelder Street
Louisville, Colorado 80027
www.collins-machine.com

Contact -
L. Claude Jolicoeur
VP Business Development
Office 303-449-6912
Cell - 303-870-7340

Please review website for more details

We do not partake in BS. We say what we do and do what we say. I personally have 30 years hands on in metal working, From QA in tier 1 automotive suppliers to plant Manager.

100 mil per year to 10 mil per year. I prefer the later, less politics.

Contact me for more information.

Regards,

LCJ

Contact me for further information. I do not wish to post on this site.

hobbymachine

There are many good shops out there but getting through the bad to find the good is frustrating. That goes for customers as well. I have heard stories from past customers about bad parts, delivery etc only to find out why they were REALLY looking.
They didn't pay there bills.
www.hobbymachine.net

PM Engineering

First off I want to thank the people that have replied, it is encouraging. I have to think one or two of the serious shops will be all we need.

Second,

There are many good shops out there but getting through the bad to find the good is frustrating. That goes for customers as well. I have heard stories from past customers about bad parts, delivery etc only to find out why they were REALLY looking.
They didn't pay there bills.
www.hobbymachine.net

hobbymachine, I don't know what you hoped to accomplish by coming into this thread implying maybe we don't pay our bills when clearly you know nothing about us (if you did, you would know we pay). You didn't even offer your services, all you had was a negative comment about a company you have never worked with.

I don't know how a guy like you can be arrogant enough to condescend to other readers, "Watch out, there are bad customers out there!" as if you alone owned all the common sense in the world. I'll thank you to do me, yourself, and the other readers a favor and just stay out of this thread.

Thanks, all

PlasticWorker

If you need an occasional plastic part, we would like to help. We have been in business since 1954 and always adhered to your "requests" without anyone having to ask us. Thermoforming in addition to CNC milling and turning. Sorry, no injection molding. Primarilly runs less than 1K.

Thanks, Gary@Plasti-Vue.com

hobbymachine

First off I want to thank the people that have replied, it is encouraging. I have to think one or two of the serious shops will be all we need.

Second,

hobbymachine, I don't know what you hoped to accomplish by coming into this thread implying maybe we don't pay our bills when clearly you know nothing about us (if you did, you would know we pay). You didn't even offer your services, all you had was a negative comment about a company you have never worked with.

I don't know how a guy like you can be arrogant enough to condescend to other readers, "Watch out, there are bad customers out there!" as if you alone owned all the common sense in the world. I'll thank you to do me, yourself, and the other readers a favor and just stay out of this thread.

Thanks, all

You took that way out of context as I said nothing negative about you or your company.
I simply stated I understand the frustration of companies trying to find reliable shops( this means you) but also as a shop (this means me) trying to find reliable customers. I have been on both ends of that.
If you were interested in my shop, the weblink in the signature area is an easy way to get info but I understand that may be to much work to do.
I am not arrogant by far. It sounds like you have some issues to address one of which is how to read and how to handle your anger.
I don't need or want your business after your childish post as it just represents what kind of relationship the unsuspecting shop will have to deal with.

PM Engineering

Hobbyist, I asked you not to post in this thread and again you post trying to down us. First you question why we're looking, now you point to the kind of customer I seem to be.

My annoyance you perceive as anger is directed at someone popping up with a negative speculative comment. Not at a vendor who delivers value.

No need to tell me I'm not welcome. You knew I wasn't going to use you.

Again, I will thank you to stay out of this thread.

hobbymachine

Hobbyist, I asked you not to post in this thread and again you post trying to down us. First you question why we're looking, now you point to the kind of customer I seem to be.

My annoyance you perceive as anger is directed at someone popping up with a negative speculative comment. Not at a vendor who delivers value.

No need to tell me I'm not welcome. You knew I wasn't going to use you.

Again, I will thank you to stay out of this thread.

You made it negative, it's all in the eye of the reader. I will appologize for the misunderstanding on my first post.
"You told me not to post here" Wow!!
I have been in the machining trade 20 years and you top the cake on arrogance.
Good luck!!

Larry1

hobbymachine I did not see anything you wrote that was wrong, I thought you just made a statement, directed at no one. But this should have been replyed to another area of the forum.

CustomMachining

Custom Machining Service

Please Give me a call. We are located in Laguna Hills Ca and I know we can help you out with your products. I read your requirements and I know that we can stick to your expectations and most likely exceed them. Thank you for keeping American made American made and not just slapping a USA sticker on a china p.o.s.!
Thanks,
Blake Deatherage
Sales Manager
Custom Machining Service
949-241-7653

Status
Not open for further replies.