Small qty AL turning quote

Status
Not open for further replies.

machgnr

I have a customer that's needing several parts made in some quantity. The order quantities will always be the same and will normally be every 90-120 days.

I will post them here as he needs them. I've attached a .bmp image of the CAD model for clarity.

QTY 200 pcs, Mat'l 6063 or 6061 AL, 1/2" hex stock, each piece OAL is 2.00". +.005/-.010

Part is turned round at both ends to a Dia. of .480 +/-.005 ; one end .065 in, the other 1.745 in. Leaving a Hex of .190 thk.

The part has a thru hole threaded 5/16x18.

Need quote for him to quote US Mil job. Please reply to machgnr@gmail.com direct.

I will post when the job is awarded. Thanks

Attachments

• HEX.doc
    54 KB · Views: 118

machgnr

My apologies for the delay in posting. We had some tornado's that dared to interrupt the normalcy of our lives here in the midwest !!

The bids received ranged from $1.30 - 3.75. Rather surprising spread for such simple part. We did not add anything to your bids before handing them off to our customer. We do not know to whom they awarded it to, just that they did.

Thank you all again. There will be other parts to come soon.

Dualkit

My apologies for the delay in posting. We had some tornado's that dared to interrupt the normalcy of our lives here in the midwest !!

The bids received ranged from $1.30 - 3.75. Rather surprising spread for such simple part. We did not add anything to your bids before handing them off to our customer. We do not know to whom they awarded it to, just that they did.

Thank you all again. There will be other parts to come soon.

Thanks for the feedback. The price range is simple to explain. It is a difference
in what people are selling machine time at. On a simple part like this, at this quantity, no matter what your methods, the time spent on the job will be similar in most shops. The high bidder is bidding machine time at $60 an hour,
that was the pre-recession common shop rate in the United States in 2006.
Obviously he is still doing well and has not had to "fire sale" machine time to
stay busy. The low bidder is under $20 an hour, he is starving and keeps bidding lower and lower till he fills his schedule with work. 3 years ago most
bids would have been around that $3.75. I am not assuming the low bid came
from a foreign country, many times they come from the U.S.A., pretty sad.

machgnr

Thank you for the insight. I can see why guys are having to do this (cut rate bidding), I mean we all have to put food on the table somehow, but it is sad that it has to be done to compete with cut throat companies on the other side of the world.

I have spoken to the customer this morning, and they did award the bid to someone relatively local (read... A U.S. COMPANY !) :D

Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.