Starting my own business????

EidenC

Hey Guys,
I have been in the industry for only a 1 1/2 years, I went to school for Product Design and Engineering Technology, and have always been interested in CNC.

I have been looking into starting my own business with a rapid prototyping machine, possibly a CNC router and/or CNC plasma cutter. Also looking to get into some design work on AutoCAD, ProE, Solidworks, or Inventor.

Just basically looking for some ideas as to if anyone thinks its possible and if there is enough work and money out there to keep busy and make a living.

If anyone out there has tried this and succeded or had troubles trying to do so I would like to hear about it. Also if there is anyone out there looking for people to run products with this type of equipment it would be great to hear from you as well.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Chris

DJ1978

Getting started

I would never want to discourage anyone from starting their own business. Espcially since you have only been involved in this industry for less than 2 years.
Things to consider. Do you have a customer(s) in mind to approach for your initial work. It is not as easy as buying the equipment, buying or renting a building and saying here I am.....Work will not instantly appear.
An idea of the primary work you would want or be able to do is a must. Along with a pretty good idea where you can acquire some of that work and other types of work that you would like to or be able to do.
A building big enough to hold you operations is another aspect. Will it have the systems in place to support your machines or will you have to invest in them also. (electrical capacity, Air,) Will you buy? Build? Rent? It is very expensive any way you go... you will have large bills right away. If you do not have work lined up... how will you pay them?
Insurance is also a large issue. Buidling and health.
Support tooling and supplies add up fast. clamping, and cutting tools, other work holding tools, hand tools, Work benches. Auxilary equipment like bench grinders, drill press, sand blaster and more will probably be needed.
Another thing to consider is will you have the time. Are you going to quit your current position and go all out with this one? Or will you continue to work at your current position and try to do this one the side? If you will continue to work, will it be a confilct of interest with your current employer? Some to not allow you to work in the same field while you are working for them.
Do you have the circumstances that will allow you to invest a LARGE majority of your time in this venture? Are you married?? With Kids?? These should be things to consider also....Can you or are you willing to give up time that you would spend with family and friends to meet delivery dates.
All of these things factor in.
Hope this gives you some baseline things to consider as you look into this big move.
Dan