Request For Quote- Turned stainless parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb0thn

Hello everyone,

Attached are drawings for 3 different turned stainless parts we need.

We are currently producing a version of this part on our manual lathe. We have made some changes to make the part easier to manufacture. So of the bore and shaft diameter tolerances are tight where bearings touch, but otherwise I have tried to make very loose tolerances for easy manufacturing. If you see any problems please let me know.

We require four prototypes by April 18th. If the parts work as expected we will order another 10 to 20 sets for delivery in May. We would like to use the same shop for prototypes as the production, so please quote accordingly. IE don't charge us programming twice, but do charge for two setups if need be.

You provide the Stainless 304. Hand deburred parts are fine. No special finish required. You can ship on our UPS account to Winona, MN 55987. We can even print the UPS label and e-mail it to you if you do not have a parcel service.

We will decide on a shop and award the job at 5PM on Tuesday April 8th. [edited to fix the date]

Should you have any questions you can e-mail jj@aprsworld.com or call us at 507-454-2727.

Thank you,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Attachments

• anemometerPivotMount_machined_parts20080405.PDF
    64.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

kb0thn

updated drawing

There were a few questions on the parts:

1) is undercut allowed on threaded shaft? Yes.
2) What is the 1.1" / 1.497" dimension on the bearing carrier? They are two pockets to allow a fitting to be located for welding. These will obviously be milled as a second operation. If any of the quotes we received did not have this pocket I appologize for the confusion. If you can offer a competitive turning price but do not have milling capabilities then please indicate so. We can mill this in house if need be.

Attached is a revised drawing that adds the above notes and isometric views of the parts.

Thanks for allowing me to clarify,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

Attachments

• anemometerPivotMount_machined_parts20080406.PDF
    72.1 KB · Views: 80

kb0thn

Job awarded

Thanks to all of the 9 shops that answered our RFQ on rfqwork.com. We awarded the job to a local shop. It's somewhat funny that they ended up with it. We haven't done business before, but they called a few weeks ago to introduce themselves. I promised I would send over any new parts for quote, but then forgot to do so. Then they saw our RFQ here and followed up. So I guess this site works for far away and local shops.

It was interesting to note that there seemed to be two groupings on the parts pricing. Half of the quotes were about what I expected, and the other half were about double that. A couple in each group came in with a few dollars of each other.

Is it helpful to you if we put a target price? I suspect this can cause some problems on my end, although it may benefit you. If my target price is unreasonably low then I look stingy and I won't see any quotes. If my guess is too high then I may end up paying way more than I should for a part just because I'm naive with regard to how it is made or some other factor. But I feel bad about wasting the time of a shop that is going to come to me with a price twice as high as what I could accept. I know these quotes take time to put together and do cost you something.

Thank you to all those that answered and have been most helpful,

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC

DareBee

James

Thanks for the thoughtful and well worded closing statement.
It would be nice if everybody was this courteous.

Status
Not open for further replies.