Request For Quote- Turning and Machining - Open to USA companies only

Status
Not open for further replies.

stomperxj

1) Material type - Aluminum. Doesn't matter what kind. Whatever is cheapest
2) Is a material quote required or is material supplied - Include material in quote
3) Quantity - (4)
4) Drawings should be immediately available or necessary specs. - I have 2D and 3D drawings of this part. Email me for them.
5) Required time frame - 2-3 weeks
6) RFQ ending time - bid closes 5-15-09

These are center caps. Parts to be turned, then Anodized black, then the logo machined into the face.

3D render:

nissan.jpg

nissandims.jpg

email quotes to jesscneal@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Jess

Dualkit

Not lookin for people to make jokes here. Just want some honest quotes. I've had a couple quotes that are close to that. That's why I asked...

That is laughable, but probably true. First I assume the parts are center caps
for car wheels, so material has to run 3 bucks each. Then someone machines them and sends them out for anodizing. Then they are going to machine a logo
"after anodizing" for $15 total each? Anodizing hardens the surface which is
going to eat tooling. Anyone who would bid this for $15 does not know what they are doing, this should be interesting.

stomperxj

That is laughable, but probably true. First I assume the parts are center caps
for car wheels, so material has to run 3 bucks each. Then someone machines them and sends them out for anodizing. Then they are going to machine a logo
"after anodizing" for $15 total each? Anodizing hardens the surface which is
going to eat tooling. Anyone who would bid this for $15 does not know what they are doing, this should be interesting.

Well how much would you do them for? What is a real number to judge my quotes by? I don't want a poor quality product but I'm not going to spend $100 each on these either..

Dualkit

Well how much would you do them for? What is a real number to judge my quotes by? I don't want a poor quality product but I'm not going to spend $100 each on these either..

I just saw your print, I guessed $3 on material from the picture, the part is much larger than I expected! At $2 a pound the material is going to cost $37.40 for one foot
and $2 a pound is cheap for a small amount. So material is $9.35 each unless
someone is either stealing it or giving it away. As for the lathe work one hour to
program and set-up on CNC as they will fly through aluminum way faster than by hand and leave a nicer finish, and you want a good finish if you are going to
black anodize. I make lots of parts out of 6061, so I would be accurate to say you would be looking at 15 minutes of machine time each part for the 2 required
operations. So we have 2 hours labor up to this point. On to the mill, 1 hour for program and
set-up which will include machining radial jaws to hold the part, regular jaws are either going to damage the part or not support it well enough. For run time plus a little light deburring another 30 minutes. Add another 30 minutes
for sawing blanks, packaging and other incidentals. Lets say 4 hours total to
get the job out. Even if the shop rate is quoted at $25 an hour with no tooling charge that is $34.35 each. As for anodizing every where around here
has a $75 minimum, in quantities they would be $1.50 each, but your 4 will cost $18.75 a piece. If someone finds them cheaper they still have to pick them up and drop them off, if they do them in house they still should add
a minimum. In conclusion anyone not quoting at least $35 each plus anodizing
is going to provide horrid quality or try to hit you with a price increase once they start machining your order. This is a very honest assessment, as I do not have the software needed to do lettering, so I am not interested in this job. I hope this helps.

stomperxj

I just saw your print, I guessed $3 on material from the picture, the part is much larger than I expected! At $2 a pound the material is going to cost $37.40 for one foot
someone is either stealing it or giving it away. As for the lathe work one hour to
program and set-up on CNC as they will fly through aluminum way faster than by hand and leave a nicer finish, and you want a good finish if you are going to
black anodize. I make lots of parts out of 6061, so I would be accurate to say you would be looking at 15 minutes of machine time each part for the 2 required
operations. So we have 2 hours labor up to this point. On to the mill, 1 hour for program and
set-up which will include machining radial jaws to hold the part, regular jaws are either going to damage the part or not support it well enough. For run time plus a little light deburring another 30 minutes. Add another 30 minutes
get the job out. Even if the shop rate is quoted at $25 an hour with no tooling charge that is $34.35 each. As for anodizing every where around here
has a $75 minimum, in quantities they would be $1.50 each, but your 4 will cost $18.75 a piece. If someone finds them cheaper they still have to pick them up and drop them off, if they do them in house they still should add
is going to provide horrid quality or try to hit you with a price increase once they start machining your order. This is a very honest assessment, as I do not have the software needed to do lettering, so I am not interested in this job. I hope this helps.

Thanks Dualkit for the detailed description. That gives me a lot better idea of what needs to be done and what time is involved. I've had 1 or two low ball quotes and a couple that are inline with your description. I think I'd rather spend a little more money on them to get a better product...

Thanks again-

pyroracing85

My anodizing shop does not have a part minimum.

Ram

Did any one on here actually get the job, I would more than likely soil my pants if any did.

Hmm...and when you go back to the store to get a new pair of pants, will you be making sure that the label on that says "Made in USA?" If yes, do let us know which store you bought them.

Hmm...and when you go back to the store to get a new pair of pants, will you be making sure that the label on that says "Made in USA?" If yes, do let us know which store you bought them.
YES!!!, it is very hard too do( it is almost impossibe to find USA made pants and shirts). I do have a USA made Carhart jacket that I always wear. What can be found made in the USA I wear, for example, Gold Toe brand sockets (check the tags because some are not USA made) My CNC's are Haas, an old USA made Bridgeport mill hand cranker and ellis bandsaw, etc. Our inspection equipment is a mix of Japanese Mitutoyo and federal/mahr. If Starrett was loyal to us and stricktly manufactured in the USA I would buy their stuff however, if its going to be an import quality prevails.

Status
Not open for further replies.